Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWPs) play a crucial role in various industries, enabling workers to safely access elevated areas for tasks such as maintenance, construction, and inspection. However, operating a MEWP requires proper training and certification to ensure the safety of both workers and the surrounding environment. In this article, we will explore the duration and validity of MEWP licenses, shedding light on the importance of staying up-to-date with licensing requirements.
The Duration of MEWP Licenses
MEWP licenses, also known as certifications or operator cards, are typically issued upon the successful completion of a training program designed to equip individuals with the necessary knowledge and skills to operate these specialized machines. European standards do not define a specific obligation for MEWP training; they simply state that operators must be trained so they can perform their activities properly.
However, it’s important to note that the duration of MEWP licenses can vary based on several factors, including regional regulations and the type of MEWP being operated.
While there isn’t a universal time frame for the validity of MEWP licenses, many jurisdictions require license holders to renew their certification periodically. The duration of a MEWP license can range from 1 to 5 years in many countries, depending on the operator and application. It is essential to consult the specific regulations in your jurisdiction to determine the precise validity period for your MEWP license.
Renewing a MEWP License
Renewing a MEWP license is a crucial step in maintaining compliance with safety standards and regulations. It ensures that operators are up to date with the latest industry practices, safety protocols, and equipment advancements. Unlike European, ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards formally define retraining. The A92.24 standard defines the Training Requirements for the Use, Operation, Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs)
Some examples of situations when retraining would be necessary include, but are not limited to:
- Expiration of the operator’s valid training period.
- Deterioration of the operator’s performance.
- The operator’s extended period of time with no operation of a MEWP.
- The operator’s introduction to new or significantly different MEWP technology.
- The operator’s involvement in an accident or near miss with the MEWP.
Most of these situations can be initiated by the supervisors (an entity assigned by the user to monitor the operator performance and supervise its work), the users (an entity that has care, custody, and control of the MEWP) or the operators itself.
The process for renewing a MEWP license typically involves the following steps:
1. Training Update. Most jurisdictions require operators to undergo refresher training or a training update course before renewing their MEWP license. This training helps reinforce knowledge and addresses any changes or updates in safety guidelines and regulations.
2. Practical Evaluation. In some cases, operators may need to demonstrate their practical skills and competency by undergoing a hands-on evaluation. This evaluation ensures that operators can safely and effectively operate MEWPs, considering factors such as equipment inspection, maneuvering, and emergency procedures.
3. Written Assessment. Renewal processes often include a written assessment to evaluate an operator’s theoretical knowledge. This assessment may cover topics such as MEWP operation, safety procedures, hazard recognition, and emergency response.
4. Documentation and Fees. Operators will need to provide the necessary documentation, including proof of completion of refresher training and assessments, along with any required fees for the license renewal process. It’s important to submit the documentation and fees within the specified timeframe to avoid any lapse in certification.
Find out more about Power Towers mobile elevating platforms here: Access Platforms · Buy Work Platforms | Power Towers
For questions, you can always contact us at Contact Page – Power Towers or write an email to email@example.com.
For more information and updates subscribe to our newsletter or LinkedIn page.